An introduction to Recollection Fine Used Books
Recollection Used Books is in its 12th year. We began in 1995 as a retail store in Seattle's University District, then shifted to primarily online sales in 2000, with most of our books displayed at the Horizon Books locations in the Greenwood & Roosevelt areas for the past 7 years.
I have also taken responsiblity for Horizon Books Internet sales, & together we offer over 18,000+ books online.
We maintain a broad selection of literature in most subject areas, with emphasis on modern, collectible & signed literature, social & radical studies, history, The Beats, Music (Jazz, blues, rock & folk), The Sixties, the Viet Nam War, The Cold War, Baseball, Fishing, Mountaineering, cookbooks, chess, mystery & detective novels, & various other fiction & non-fiction subjects.
The primary purpose, of course, is to serve as a provider of books, putting people & books together.---David Brown.
Our books are also offered for sale online through used book services such as: Advanced Book Exchange (ABE), Alibris, Barnes & Noble, Half.com, Amazon & (forthcoming) on Bibliophile.com.
"Who used to be on first?"
In the year 2000, after five years, I closed the retail store located at 45th & University Way & devoted my energies to the Internet business with books on display at Horizon Books in Seattle's Greenwood district & then at their Roosevelt store beginning in 2003.
Our original retail staff, a small gaggle of nine . . . stood on first, trying to figure out how they got there or where exactly home plate was.
Staff alumnus include:
- Jim Koehnline. Resident staff artist/master collage man. A very tiny sampling of his work is available through our Online texts page & our pages of bookmarks. Jim has produced over 400 bookmarks for the store. These are intensive graphics & are slow loading for those of us with slower modems! His own Jubilee Garden of graphics (for sale, & some animated) is defintely worth your visit.
- Mike Payson. Resident technical consultant, & our in-house TechMeister.
- Rick HemoMeister. Veteran web surfer, always on the lookout for the next big one. The glue dat keeps Recollection Used Books going.
- Sue & Brandon Letsinger. Cataloguers extraordinaire, meaning we now have over 18,000 books, sorted into 90 catalogs, for sale on the Internet.
- Four Hungry Beasts: Resident woofers. Pappy (Papillon, female, now deceased), Jellico (female), Xena (female) & Bucky (male, deceased) (Pics: [1|2|3|4]). At least one of these vicious beasts was in the store at any given time, but often all were on hand to keep the customers at bay.
Recollection Books is presently active in soliciting funds & book donations for the Books-to-Prisoners Project (sends books into the prisons for free). We also produce the Seattle Used Bookstore Guide (70+ stores) online, maintained by David & printed copies (in conjunction with Louis Collins Rare Books), are distributed free throughout Seattle area bookstores.
Questions or comments to David Brown RecollectionBooks.com
Return to Recollection Books Homepage